Recipe for Spit Roast - Barbecued Beef Round
- 3kg round roast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup of either BBQ sauce or tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf crumbled
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Combine the oil, BBQ/tomato sauce, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and rosemary in a mixing bowl.
- Pour about a quarter of the mixture over the beef and leave to marinate overnight, turning it every couple of hours.
- 1 hour before roasting, remove the beef from the refrigerator.
- Secure the roast on the spit, balancing it evenly
- Every 20 minutes, baste the meat with the leftover mixture
Attaching it to the spit:
- You'll need a skewer, 2 prongs
- Pass the skewer through the beef, trying it as balanced as possible on the skewer
- Insert one prong through each side of the meat and tighten
Many factors will affect your cooking time; however, to be on the safe side, allow around 2 hours. If it's ready earlier, you can always push the charcoal to the side and raise the beef to the top of the spit roaster to keep it warm but not cooking.
To keep the roast together and reduce stress on your motor, use butcher's twine.
by: Rhiannon Peterson